Bon chic travels

Bon chic travels

5 Easy Tips For Getting More Miles Out of Your Gas Tank

Did you know that less than 20% of the energy from the gas in your vehicle’s tank is actually used to get your car up and down the road? The other 80% of lost fuel is wasted due to idling, running your air conditioning and engine inefficiencies that can be easily be improved to get better gas economy for your car.

Below are 5 tips to help you get more bang for your buck by getting more out of your gas tank each time you fill up your vehicle.

1. First and foremost, check those tires

Making sure you vehicle’s tires are the correct air pressure can do wonders to your fuel efficiency. Check your car owners manual to confirm the correct PSI which will also cause your tires to wear less quickly.

2. Take advantage of cruise control

Keeping your travel speed at a steady rate is a great way to save gas. Every time you punch the accelerator, gas is forced into the engine causing it to be used. Using your vehicle’s cruise control feature allows fuel consumption to be minimized as you stay at a constant speed.

3. Stop unnecessary idling

Idiling is when a vehicle’s engine is running when it is not in use or parked. Every minute that idling occurs, fuel is being wasted.

4. Clean oil is good oil

Over time, your vehicle’s engine oil becomes sticky, mucky and has less viscosity. With less flow, your engine has to work harder to function which in turn causes worse fuel efficiency. Refer to your car manufacturer’s maintenance schedule to keep your oil clean and your engine running smoother.

5. Give your car a break

The best way to save money on gas is to simply use your car less. If you can, why not opt to travel via bus, car pool, or mass transit? Scheduling your errands to be run on one day instead of multiple trips throughout the week.

Tyler Dee is a freelance consultant with interest in many subjects including personal finance, budget tips, bad credit help [http://www.badcreditauthority.com], and retirement 401K advice.